Victoria sponge is a classic British cake that consists of two layers of sponge cake with a layer of jam and whipped cream sandwiched in the middle. Here’s a recipe to make your own Victoria sponge:
- 225g (8 oz) unsalted butter, softened
- 225g (8 oz) caster sugar
- 4 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 225g (8 oz) self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp milk
- Strawberry or raspberry jam
- Whipped cream
- Preheat your oven to 180°C (160°C fan) or Gas Mark 4.
- Grease and line two 20cm (8 inch) cake tins with baking parchment.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add the beaten eggs, mixing well after each addition.
- Sift the flour into the bowl and fold gently until the mixture is well combined.
- Stir in the milk to create a smooth, soft batter.
- Divide the batter evenly between the two prepared cake tins, smoothing the surface with a spatula or wet spoon.
- Bake the cakes in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until they are golden brown and springy to the touch.
- Remove the cakes from the oven and leave them to cool in the tins for a few minutes, before turning them out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Once the cakes are cool, spread a layer of jam on one of the cakes, followed by a layer of whipped cream.
- Place the other cake on top of the cream layer, then dust with icing sugar before serving.
That’s it! Your delicious Victoria sponge is ready to enjoy.
Price Updated 18, November, 2023 by Admin